Fatigue often occurs when there is inflammation in the body. Inflammation is linked with the release of powerful chemicals. These include:
- inflammatory proteins which increase the stickiness of blood platelets
- proteins which bind to antibodies and circulate as immune complexes
- immune system chemicals that help immune cells communicate with each other such as interleukins, especially interleukin 1.
Psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis are long-term inflammatory conditions. With both of them, fatigue may be an early symptom. Researchers do not know exactly what causes it, but it seems to be linked with increased levels of the above inflammatory substances in the body.
What can I do to help?
If you feel tired all the time, tell your doctor. Sometimes you may need to have your medication changed. A number of things may help you feel less exhausted all the time:
- Eat a diet providing at least five servings of fresh fruit or vegetables a day
- Reduce the animal fats in your diet and avoid fatty foods as much as possible.
- Eat fresh, home-made foods rather than pre-packaged convenience foods.
Learn more about nutrition and lifestyle.